Level 1 teaches upper and lowercase letter identification, tracing, letter sequencing, phonics, vocabulary and language skills, number identification, counting, number sequencing, shapes, colors and music. This program develops motor skills, builds spatial/visual skills, elongates the attention span and helps youngsters to follow directions.
Level 2 further enhances language, vocabulary and math skills as well as spatial/visual skills, motor skills and attention span. Also included in this series is a concentration on lowercase letters and beginning sounds, letter and number sequencing, rhyming words, counting, number words, shades of colors, shapes. A child is also introduced to Spanish, sign language, addition, character building and Kindergarten programs.
Level 3 develops the child’s skills in phonics and math and logic. A child works with beginning, middle and ending consonant sounds, short vowels, vocabulary building, number identification 0-30, higher counting, addition and subtraction, sequencing, music, patterns, character building, Spanish, sign language, Kindergarten concepts, basic history, and reading skills.
Level 4 focuses on beginning reading. Language skills include beginning, ending and middle consonant sounds, short and long vowels, spelling, vocabulary, sounding out words, reading and writing. Math skills include addition and subtraction, higher counting, place value, ordinal numbers, time and money.
Be Smart Kids provides assessments for determining when a child is ready to advance to the next level of the curriculum. Assessments should also be used to determine where in the Be Smart Kids program a child should be placed. The learning system is made up of levels and sub-levels. Each sub-level, with the exception of Level 1, is made of ten lesson plans (Level 1 has five lesson plans). At the end of level (Level 1, Level 2A, level 2B, level 3A, etc.), an assessment should be made.
Subjects covered by Be Smart Kids
LANGUAGE & VOCABULARY
- Recognize consonant sounds (beginning, middle and ending)
- Begin to recognize vowel sounds (long and short)
- Blend sounds together to form simple words
- Recognize that sentences are made up of separate words
- Recognize and name end punctuation marks, “period” and “question mark”
- Understand the basic rules of phonics
- Begin to write letters and words
- Recall what has been heard or seen
- Sequence events in a story
- Begin the reading process
MATH & LOGIC
- Recognize that numbers have basic shapes and represent groups of things
- Count by 2’s, 5’s and 10’s, to 100
- Relate numbers to objects
- Identify ordinal numbers 1st to 10th
- Recognize symbols: plus (+), minus (-), equal (=)
- Understand the concepts of >, <, =
- Perform computations using a mixture of addition and subtraction
- Increase the development of math and logic through memory and reasoning skills
- Identify pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters, half dollars, and one dollar bill
- Read a clock face and tell time to the hour
- Sequence events: before and after, first, next, last
- Recognize red, yellow, blue as primary colors
- Use white to change a color to a tint
- Distinguish between different shades of color
- Recognize that closure of a line creates a shape
- Identify and sort basic plane figures: square, rectangle, triangle, circle
- Recognize likenesses and differences of objects and pictures
- Recognize the whole, when only parts are present
- Complete progressively more complex mazes
- Know and use terms of relative position, like inside/outside and closed/open
- Recall visual stimuli in sequential order
- Recognize patterns and predict the extension of a pattern
- Develop rhythm, pitch and an appreciation of melodies
- Recognize a steady beat; begin to imitate a steady beat
- Discriminate between fast and slow
- Discriminate between obvious differences in pitch: high and low
- Begin to recognize musical notes
- Learn sign language (Finger spell)
- Be introduced to Spanish
Be Smart Kids incorporates the following “windows of learning” in its process as identified by scientists!
- Vocabulary – Birth to 3 years
- Math & Logic – Birth to 4 Years
- Music – 3 to 10 years
- Motor Skills – Birth to 5 years
- Language – Birth to 10 years
- Second Language – Birth to 9 years
The genius of Be Smart Kids is its focus on introducing the learning process during the best learning time in a child’s life: birth to age 6. This is a once-in-a-lifetime window of opportunity for learning.
Be Smart Kids is a comprehensive, learning program that uses science, technology and best teaching practices. More than a decade of research and design has gone into the development of the Be Smart Kids Learning System, an unequaled computer-aided learning process that stimulates every area of the brain during the period when the “window of opportunity” for learning is best, ages 0-6.